On Monday, August 26, 2013, Cali May VanDerwerken was born! She arrived at 4:52pm weighing 6lbs. 13oz. and was only 18 inches long. She was only 6 days early so I was surprised she was so little!
John and I arrived at the hospital at 6am that morning. John was going out of town in 10 days so I was induced. Dr. Piraino was on call so she delivered our little Cali. I was admitted and hooked up to an IV. I warned the nurse that I have rolling veins in my hands and it wouldn't work but they still tried. Of course my veins rolled so she tried digging around. When that didn't work and I almost passed out, she put the IV in my arm. I was on the IV for an hour before they started Pitocin. I thought I would have this little girl quickly but it took hours to get contractions to start. I got the epidural at 2:30pm. At about 4:15, the epidural started to wear off on my left side and the pain was killing me. The nurse checked me and I was only dilated a four so we did another dose of meds and I moved onto my side. It took about 20 minutes to kick in and I was crying from the pain of each contraction. The nurse checked me again at 4:40 and informed us I was a nine so she was getting the doctor so I could push. No wonder I was in so much pain! Cali May arrived at 4:52pm after one minute of pushing. I couldn't get over her small size and honestly, how much vernix she had on her. She is a cutie and fits in with the girls well. We will see who she resembles most!
Abby and Katie came with my mom to see Cali the next day. They both got to hold her and give her lots of kisses. Katie parrots everything Abby does so if Abby touched the baby, Katie touched the baby and so on. I can tell I'm in trouble and will be on baby survival duty all the time!
We had lots of visitors that first night. Mike and Jenny came and held little Cali. Unfortunately, they were leaving for Vegas the next day to see Christina's little baby girl who was born two days earlier so they wouldn't get another chance to see her for a week. Tina was already in Vegas with Christina and baby Christina so she didn't get to see Cali until she was four weeks old! Jay and Angela came and our friends Tony and Loni Bennett. Abby and Katie came but didn't get to hold baby until the next day. Tiffany and Sydney Anderson, Carrie Styles and Alan Stevenson came the next day to see our Cali. Here is our new family!
No comments:
Post a Comment