Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kathleen Rose VanDerwerken

Kathleen Rose VanDerwerken was born on Thursday, June 23rd, 2011. She was 4 weeks early and weighed 6 lbs. 1 oz. at 17.5 inches long. It was such an easy delivery compared to Abby! My water broke at 2am so I called the Labor and Delivery where they told me to come in even though I wasn't having any contractions. We packed up, dropped Abby off at our friends, the Brysons, and made it to the hospital at 3:40am. The doctor started Pitocin at 6am and finally contractions started at 10am. I got my epidural an hour later then told the nurse at 12:40pm it was time to push. The doctor came in and 3 pushes later, Kathleen was born at 12:51pm. Since she was considered premature, a pediatrician was there ready to take care of her. Luckily, little Katie has healthy, strong lungs and looked perfect to the doctor. Here are some pictures of our stay at the hospital.



Before delivery...




After delivery


Katie lounging under the heat lamp.






Kellie brought Abby in a few hours after delivery. She was scared at first and wouldn't come near me, even after I was changed and looked fairly normal. Abby was excited about her little sister though!


Abby wouldn't let me touch her and wanted to leave so this is the best family picture we could get (and Katie couldn't leave from under the heat lamp)!


We love her thick dark hair!


While I was having "fun" in the hospital, Abby was having her own fun! Yummmm!




Abby thought her slumber party was the best! She even wore her friends slippers!





I love this little girl!


Our nurse put this cute little hat on her.


The day after delivery. I was dying to head home but they made us stay for the full 48 hours to keep an eye on little Katie Rose.


Our wonderful nurse, Amy.


Waiting to leave the hospital. Abby loves to hold Katie.


Heading home... yea!!



When we were discharged, Katie was 5lbs. 11oz. We had to go to the hospital again the next day to weigh in and check for jaundice. We had a scare when she failed the skin jaundice test so they had to take blood and send it to the lab. Luckily she passed the blood test and we didn't have to stay overnight for treatment. Since then we have been to the pediatrician twice and Katie now weighs 5lbs. 14oz. Looks like she will gain her weight right back and bulk up quickly. We just love her so much and are so excited to have sisters!!

3 comments:

Mindi said...

Congratulations Christy! I'm so glad you are both healthy and everything is okay. A month early...that's crazy! Please call me sometime. I know life is crazy right now, but when you are up to it, I'd love to catch up!

Lianna said...

She is gorgeous, just like you! You are so lucky, I am happy to see you two are healthy. I can't wait to see her in person. Have fun!

Spencer and Mackenzie said...

congrats!! that is so exciting - what a cute little family!