Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Sweet Taste of Victory!

So here is a little follow-up on the crying to sleep post. Today when Abby got fussy at 2:30 I laid her in her crib and let her cry it out. Only this time she only cried for 20-25 minutes! Luckily she loves her thumb so after she calmed down a little she found her thumb and went to sleep! The only difference from last time is I didn't go in and console her at all. I laid her down and she didn't see me again until she woke up. I think I was just making it worse when I would go in and try to calm her and then leave. John worked from home today and was dying to go get her but I kept him away until she was asleep. So hopefully this is a new beginning to easy naps during the day!

3 comments:

Julie W said...

Yea! Congrats. You should keep letting her cry it out. Just know that every so often she will actually be crying still because she spit up or pooped or pulled a blanket over her head. So make sure you do what feels right with peaking in or smelling her!

I did not let maddux become a thumb sucker because savy is sooo bad still. I really pushed the binki when he started thumb sucking, and now he loves it. I plan on taking it away at 1 year. It is great when a baby can comfort them selves, but Savy's teeth are so crazy now that I warn you!!!

Rachel said...

Hooray! Hopefully things just get better and better from here on out. Eva is a thumb sucker too--I tried to get her to take a pacifier but to no avail. I do think it makes for calmer babies because they are self soothers.

The Roy Family said...

Hooray! Good job on letting Abby cry it out! Yes, I found it only made my babies more mad when I would go in and "console" them, so I'd stick to the "see ya after your nap" method. :) Keep up the good work and don't give in! You're a great mommy Christy.